St. Julien & Vancouver Corner
Gas warfare was introduced to the Western Front on 22 April 1915 at the opening of the Second Battle of Ypres. The French Territorial troops who first experienced the roiling green clouds of chlorine panicked and fled. The Allies' front line had a breech and nearly collapsed. The 3rd Canadian Infantry Brigade, however, plugged the gap near the village of St. Julien and prevented disaster. A subsequent gas attack drove back the Canadians from St. Julien which was not recaptured until 1917.